Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Farro and Lentil Soup Recipe

Today I wanted to share another of my recent soup discoveries with you. For Christmas, I got possibly one of the best recipe books I’ve ever read (and when I say read, I mean, cover to cover, every delectably delicious word). It’s called Bought, Borrowed & Stolen: Recipes and Knives from a Travelling Chef and you can purchase it from Amazon for a bargain price of just £16. Worth the investment. Seriously! Anyway, I wanted to try a recipe from it so bad, but I am following Weight Watchers, so wanted something which was pretty easy to adapt. I settled for the Farro and Lentil Soup that Allegra had tried in Italy. It sounded (and looked) amazing, so I went shopping!

Here’s my twist on Allegra’s undoubtedly beautiful recipe…


Ingredients:

1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Large Red Onions
1 Large pack of Celery, with the leaves left on
1 or 2 Leeks
½ Pack Smoked Bacon Lardons (around 100g)
2 Pints of Chicken Stock, made up to 3 pints with Water
2 Cloves of Garlic
Chilli Flakes, Sea Salt and Peppercorns
100g Pearl Barley
100g Soup/Broth Mix (Lentils, Split Peas, etc)

Method:

Dice the onions as small as you can. Similarly, the celery and leeks; I found that splitting them lengthways as Allegra suggests works particularly well. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the smoked bacon lardons, onions and leeks, sauté for a few moments, add the pan lid and let them simmer.

Meanwhile, make up 2 pints of Chicken stock, or if you are not lazy, retrieve 2 pints of stock from your freshly made supplies. Add a pint of water to it (3 pints of liquid in total). Prepare your cloves of Garlic by peeling and crushing them. Grind your chilli flakes, salt and pepper.

Once the onions have started to go translucent, add the celery, leeks, garlic and a pinch of the chilli, salt and pepper to the pan. Rinse the pulses and grains, then add them to the pan. Stir fry them and coat them in the seasonings, vegetables, bacon, etc. Pour on the Chicken stock and ‘put the lid on askew’. Then leave to simmer; I used hob setting 3 and left for around 45 minutes.

Now for the magic (which is so not my own!). Take about half the soup and stick it in the blender, just roughly blend it for a short amount of time and put it back in the pan. Season with the remaining salt, pepper, chilli grounds and then cook for about 10 more minutes.

Allegra serves hers with a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I opt not to because of Weight Watchers, but even without, it’s incredible.

This recipe serves 6 and for those following Weight Watchers works out at 3ppts per serving. Enjoy!

Nanna Kate X

No comments:

Post a Comment