Thursday, 2 February 2012

Spicy Ratatouille Soup

I bought all of the ingredients to make Ratatouille as I've never made it before and I really want to try it. I got everything except for the Aubergine (partly because the ingredients list I Googled in the supermarket didn't mention it). I came to make the dish and I Googled a recipe for the 'perfect Ratatouille' which led me to this one by Raymond Blanc. It was then that I realised I really needed Aubergine and I wasn't about to return to the now closed supermarket and get some. 

Instead of wasting the ingredients or being patient enough to wait until tomorrow when I could go and get an Aubergine, I decided to just make a soup. I have taken a quick snap of it whilst it's cooling in a large Tupperware container, so it's a little basic - no prizes for presentation here! 


Ingredients:
1 x large courgette
1 x large white onion
1 x small butternut squash
1 x large green pepper
1 pt of Stock (I used Chicken)
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
Squidge of tomato puree
Sprinkle each of Cayenne Pepper, Paprika and Ground Cumin (adapt to your taste buds)
Generous grinding of black peppercorns

Method: 
Chop the veg, throw it all in a large pan, give it a stir, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for around 40-50 minutes. Stick it all in the blender and voile a, spicy veggie (mostly of the Ratatouille variety!) soup. Makes about 8 cups worth. Tastes absolutely amazing and for those out there who might be following Weight Watchers, this bad boy is zero pro points! Plus it's a really frugal way to use up any old veggies which may be on there way to veggie heaven... AND a fraction of the price Supermarkets charge for their own soups. 

Do you make your own soup? What's your favourite recipe?

Nanna Kate X

3 comments:

  1. Hi - you are the winner of my numbers giveaway so if you drop me an email with your address and I'll post it out as soon as possible. via sugarandscrap blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous, I love making soup, my fav is oven roasted carrot or butternut squash soup, with a touch of smoked paprika to add some warmth. Yum! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love adding Paprika to everything and anything! Thanks for calling by Kim, hope to see you and some soup recipes soon! X

      Delete