Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Handmade Beauty Scrubs

Going back to Christmas - was that really so long ago? - my sister and I decided to make each other handmade presents. I painted her a wine glass which you can see here... because that was just SO cheap, I also made her some handmade beauty scrubs. I put them in pretty clip mason / kilner jars and I added handwritten labels with little tips about what to use the scrubs for. I made one with coarse pink Himalayan salt (for Elbows, Knees and Toes - well feet!) and and one with fine salt (all over body). 

If you Google it, there's a million suggestions for handmade scrub, but here's mine:

1 Cup Epsom Salt
1/2 Cup Pink Himalayan Salt
1/4 Cup Oil 
10-12 drops of Essential Oil, if desired

Put it all in a big bowl and mix. Fill up the jar, add a label, make it look pretty and personal. 

The Elbows, Knees and Toes used Boots Botanics Aromatherapy Base Oil which is a nourishing and fragrance free blend of grapeseed, jojoba, peach kernal and wheatgerm oils I then added a relaxing blend of essential oils including Chamomile, Lavender and Clary Sage. 

For the All Over Scrumptious Scrub I used a 50:50 mix of Soap and Glory dry oil Mist You Madly with   Boots Botanics Aromatherapy Base Oil and I added Crushed Dried Rose Petals (from a bouquet I got pre-Christmas which I dried for about 6 weeks!)


Finally, as my sister suffers headaches I made 'Clear Your Head'. I stuffed the clip jar full of petals and added Bergamot and Rosemary oils, I then just shook it up and left it to soak in for a couple of days. 


My sister suffers with certain skin care products and gets Eczema (like me!) and after Christmas she told me the scrubs had caused her Eczema to flare up - she stopped using them, but I assured her that aside from the Soap and Glory everything was natural and shouldn't have caused a problem. She stopped using it and the Eczema continued to get even more aggressive. 

She realised it wasn't the scrub at all in the nick of time! It was a lotion she had been using in addition to the scrubs! Phew - close one! She now has used the whole jar and wants me to make her some more up... It cost pennies (all of the supplies came from eBay and cost hardly anything!) and was super simple. 

Nanna Kate X

No comments:

Post a Comment