Thursday, 19 January 2012

Home Made Chilli Infused Olive Oil

After a flurry of handmade tutorials over Christmas on loads of the blogs I follow, I decided to have a go at making my own Chilli Infused Olive Oil. I'd seen the tutorial on one blog or another (I can't remember where!), but couldn't find it, so I simply 'Googled' Chilli Infused Olive Oil. This resulted in me finding Tom Parker-Bowles method on the Good Food Channel.

I dried 10 fresh chilli by tying a piece of string around each stalk and hanging them for 6 weeks in the kitchen. Interestingly, I got Green and Red chilli, but the Green turned Orange, then Red before drying out! A couple of the chilli went kind of bruised / black, so I would recommend doing more than you need in case you have to throw a couple away.

Method:

1. Sterilise a suitable glass bottle. According to the online community, a dishwasher is perfect for sterilising glass. Alternatively see this article.
2. Measure sufficient oil for the size of your bottle, then pop it in to a heavy bottomed pan on a very low heat.
3. Add the dried chillis.


4. Add approximately 20g of dried chilli flakes.


5. Simmer very gently for around 4-5 minutes, then, decant in to your bottle...CAREFUL! It will be super hot!


I added the chilli flakes and chilli for decoration. The chilli oil is now 'infusing' in the back of my cupboard as it's nice and dark and cool in there. It will stay there (with a weekly check/shake) for about 6 weeks. I did have a little taste once it had cooled, before I put it away and it already tasted lush! So, I can't wait to see what it tastes like when it has a full bodied red tinge and is hot, hot, hot! 

Have you made your own infusions for Christmas gifts this year?

Nanna Kate X 

No comments:

Post a Comment