Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Hand Painted Wine Glass Tutorial

Before Christmas my Sister and I sat down and agreed to only make each other a small gift for Christmas rather than spending a fortune on rubbish we would never have bought for ourselves had we had the money. She has my darling nephew to focus on and I have a huge family-in-law to buy for and we decided that we didn't need to spend a lot to show each other we care at Christmas. We set a limit, which was actually quite high for home made gifts of £10, and off I went to come up with an idea. 

I'd seen the Lolita Wine Glasses previously and my friend at work had mentioned that she'd like to have a go at making one, so I decided that would be my gift to my Sis. I wanted to try something really plain and simple so I only bought two colours (purple and yellow) of glass paint and I began. My intention was to paint on stars but the glass paint (yellow) just looked like an egg yolk on the glass. I'd read somewhere that enamel paints worked just fine and I thought, well nail varnish is enamel and it's safe too, if you can paint it right on your finger nails and then eat with your hands it must be okay... so here's my nail varnish glass painting tutorial!

1. Take a sturdy wine glass and wash it in warm, soapy water.
2. Using 'rubbing alcohol' or nail varnish remover, the latter of which I used unsurprisingly, and a lint free cloth dry-come-polish the glass until it is perfectly sparkly, grease and finger print free. 
3. Free hand paint on your design. I chose hearts as they were very simple to draw and I used three, deep jewel shades of polish. 
NB: if you make a mistake use the nail varnish remover to wipe it away and simply start over. If you need to 'draw' out your design first, do so on paper and then sellotape it to the inside of the glass


4. Paint several layers, I painted three. Let each layer completely dry before you apply the next. With nail varnish, this took less time than it did on my nails!


5. Create an outline if desired, using relief outliner, which you can buy for around £2 from a craft store like Hobbycraft, the craft aisles at the Range, or online if you can wait for the delivery.
6. Allow the glass to dry for a full 24 hours.
7. Place the glass on to a baking tray in a COLD oven. Turn it on to about 140C (fan) and set the timer for 20 minutes. As the oven warms, the glass bakes. Remove the glass extremely carefully after the 20 minutes. There might be a bit of a smell from the warmed enamel and outliner, so keep a window open or an extractor fan on.
8. Once completely cold to touch, place the glass in the dishwasher and voile a, a fabulous home made gift for pennies.

I filled my Sisters with sweets and some Rimmel Solo Eye shadow compacts I got cheaply ages before Christmas, then wrapped it in cellophane and tied it with curling ribbon. It looked so nice, she was so happy with it... They are really suitable for any occasion too!

And getting a picture of it on New Year's Eve filled to the brim with Vino made it all the more self-satisfying!

Nanna Kate X

2 comments:

  1. We promise that every oil painting that you buy from our store is 100% hand-made, which shows rich color and strong stereoscopic feeling. The quality of paint pigment is stable and the color is not easy to change, which is up to the international detection standard of environmentally friendly materials. We pursue high quality of the painting and precise control of the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All paintings are hand-painted oil paintings .The quality of paint pigment is stable and the color is not easy to change, which is up to the international detection standard of environmentally friendly materials. We pursue high quality of the painting and precise control of the detail.

    ReplyDelete