Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Explore / Going Postal Inspired Upcycled Hand Fan

Inspired by Shimelle Laine's Explore course and Julie Kirk's Going Postal 'Wish you were here' postcard style Summer blogging theme, I decided to upcycle my Oriental Hand Fan. As you can see from the pictures, it was looking a bit grubby and tired and it was literally sello-taped to death. So, I decided to pull it apart, see how it was made and upcycle it!

Believe it or not, this cost me a massive 20p from a Charity Shop in the town!
My poor, tired fan, pulled apart and drawn around to make the shape for my new fan

Using a vintage map of the North East of England I cut out, scored and folded a new 'fan' shape
Next, using a needle and some thick embroidery thread, I sewed the fan together - mimicking the original design

Finally, using some seriously strong adhesive, I glued the fan back in to the original 'legs'
And, TA-DA... new, upcycled, travel inspired hand fan, hope you like it!


Nanna Kate X

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that's lovely - and quite a labour of love! And yes, it was the shop in Guisborough where I found my stamp treasures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, I'll have to have a go at this! X

    ReplyDelete