Monday, 4 July 2011

Perfect Poached Eggs

I have spent many years searching for the perfect poached egg method. I have spent a small fortune on 'gadgets' such as those weird silicone and microwave poachers to be presented with a stuck on, hard boiled, eggy mess.

And I am, quite frankly, useless at stirring the water to create a vortex - I end up with egg whites streaming round the pan like little whisps of uncooked clouds.

Until recently I had all but given up hope and dreams of my perfect poached egg, when I was shown a method for making the best, softest yolked, easiest poached egg. And though you may be familiar with this method, I wanted to share it with you!

One important thing to note is that you must use the correct equipment - I've tried using alternatives (when I can't be bothered to load / unload the dishwasher - the height of laziness!) and they never produce quite so perfect results...

1. Take a frying pan (standard size with a minimum 2" depth) and fill it with cold water
2. Pour in 1.5 capfuls of White Wine Vinegar (no other vinegars taste right)
3. Bring the water to the boil in the pan, until the point where the bubbles are 'rolling'
4. Using a tasting spoon stand (or an extra pair of hands!) prop up a soup ladel and crack your egg in to the bowl of the spoon
5. Gently lower the bowl of the spoon until it almost touches the water - tip it extremely carefully in to the bubbling water
6. Watch as the egg white first disperses slightly, then clings to the yolk, folding back in on itself and forms a perfect shape, when the white goes white rather than clear it's cooked - this usually takes approx 2 minutes (you don't have to watch the full time, though I do as I find it super exciting!)
7. Using a skimmer gently fish out the egg allowing the water to drain off
8. Lay the perfect egg on to a clean linen tea towel (the smooth kind not the fluffy ones!) and allow it to drain for a couple of seconds
9. Transfer to a slice of spinach topped sour dough and add generous amounts of cracked black pepper, rock salt and matcha for a healthy, energising start to your day
10. Enjoy on the lawn or (like me) at a sprawling kitchen table with the morning papers

Let me know how you get on!

Nanna Kate X

PS: Depending on the diameter of your frying pan, you can cook up to 6 eggs at a time this way!


No comments:

Post a Comment