Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Book Club!

I'm one of the most avid readers you will ever meet! In a week long holiday I take at least 3 or 4 paperbacks and not always easy-to-read holiday fiction either. This year I took Zadie Smith - White Teeth, Tristan Garcia - Hate: a Romance, Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go (the best dystopian novel since The Handmaid's Tale) and I picked up Dear John by Nicolas Sparks; from a random Spanish supermarket who sold 'left' and donated books for €1 to raise money for the British Legion. Almost made up for them charging approx £6 for a packet of 'British' bacon... ahem.

I wanted to 'do' something with my passion for reading and my ability to produce a 'written' review of a book isn't up to much... so, tomorrow night I am attending my Women's Institute monthly committee meeting to pitch the idea of setting up a book club to them!

I was thinking of ways to set up the club which would make some pocket money for the WI and also be cheap for members - I looked everywhere online and I couldn't find any funding or support for a book club. Eventually I stumbled across Colchester WIGs after googling 'Women's Institute Sub Groups'; and they successfully run a book club - so I emailed them to come to my rescue!

Their secretary Nicky Harley promptly emailed me back a lengthy email with loads of ideas for our book club; including getting support off our library (genius!). I don't know why but I never even thought of getting in touch with our local library, probably because I haven't been in there for over 10 years! I called the library and would you believe it, they have a whole section for reading groups!? I popped in to join as a Reading Group (perhaps a bit pre-emptive) and I discovered they have a great selection of titles with at least 10 copies of each available. I'm tempted by Jodi Picoult's Keeping Faith, one of my all time favourites...


I'm just working on my plan to pitch the reading group to the committee... looking forward to setting this up - really hope they go for it...

Wish me luck!

Nanna Kate X

P.S. I love Green Metropolis for buying paperbacks - they're cheap most importantly and you're giving a donation each time you buy/sell to charity/supporting sustainability of woodlands. Hard to get hold of books aren't always available here though, so I use Amazon or eBay for special titles like Hate: a Romance.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the book club! Funny you mentioned the Handmaid's Tale, always loved that book and the movie too!

    ReplyDelete